Figs and honey chicken with thyme
A fragrant summer recipe that makes the most of seasonal figs partnered with honey and thyme. It’s a beautiful dish that is a real crowd pleaser, perfect for cooking for friends and family. You can prepare it in advance and then just save the last 10 minutes of cooking for when your guests have arrived and you are nearly ready to eat.
Sutton Hoo Chicken with figs & honey is delicious served with minted new potatoes, asparagus and green beans. Or just with rice and a simple salad dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
6 plump chicken thighs, skin on
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced in half moons
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
125 ml white wine
150 ml Sutton Hoo Chicken stock (see recipe here)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp mild honey
6 fresh ripe figs, cross cut at the top and squeezed gently to open like a flower
Sea salt & black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180/gas 4.
2. Season the chicken thighs generously with the sea salt & black pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the thighs evenly all over for about 8 minutes.
4. Remove the thighs to a casserole leaving the oil in the frying pan.
5. Add the sliced onion to the frying pan and gently sauté for 5 minutes until nice and soft.
6. Add the onions to the chicken in the casserole along with the thyme, bay leaves, white wine and the chicken stock.
7. Place the casserole uncovered in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and place on a low heat and add the honey and white wine vinegar.
9. Place the figs in between the gaps of the thighs, increase the heat and allow to bubble for a further 10 minutes.
For information on where to find Sutton Hoo Chicken produce near you click here.